5 Simple Ways to Improve the Safety of Your Home
National Crime Prevention Month is upon us once again and we have a month packed full of events and resources to help you and your community improve safety and security both at home and away.
This first week of October kicks off the month with a focus on home safety. Kwikset®, the leader in innovative residential door hardware, is excited to join forces with the National Crime Prevention Council to help improve the safety and security of your home with smart, simple solutions.
You don’t have to completely overhaul your home to ensure your family is safe and secure. Here are five simple ways you can improve your home’s safety today:
1. Make sure you have effective locks that are being used. Remember that not all locks are created equal. For maximum protection, choose high security locks. For example, SmartKey® deadbolts by Kwikset have been rated a Consumer Reports “Best Buy” and feature BumpGuard technology that protects against lock bumping, drilling and picking. Even the best locks can’t protect you if you don’t use them.
2. Do some yard work before you leave the house for an extended period of time. Trim your hedges and bushes so thieves won’t have a chance to hide out, and you won’t give the impression your home has been left unattended and vacant.
3. Remember to secure your spare. Leave your spare key with a trusted neighbor. Never hide it on the property. Keyless entry locks such as Kwikset SmartCode are also a great option. Burglars have more experience looking for keys than you do hiding them.
4. Let there be light. Be sure all outside entrances of the home are well lit. A timer or solar-powered light on the front, back and side of the house make it difficult for burglars to hide.
5. Keep status updates safe. Think twice before posting upcoming vacations on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media outlet. You’d be surprised how fast information can travel on the information highway—and sometimes to the wrong computer screen. Instead, use the power of wireless technology to protect your home with safety innovations like Kwikset SmartCode with Home Connect™ Technology, to monitor who enters and exits your home right from your smartphone or secure internet connection.
For more information about products and security solutions for your home visit kwikset.com.